Monday, January 8, 2018

Adulting.

There's living. There's surviving. There's existing. And then there's adulting.

If the stress of having bills to pay and mortgages to end, debts to clear and savings to be made, were not enough, adulting involves a lot more emotional turmoil than you'd imagine.

Keeping up with social commitments becomes a chore, work is most often a chore, workouts an even bigger chore. Hobbies are non-existent and low on priority. Family time is really quartered between phone time, social media time, errands and then maybe eating. Is there really any time to be playful and cheerful?

Oh and amongst all this chaos is ambition, children, retirement planning, aged parents and old friends.

But I'm lucky to have broken free of the mountain on my shoulders that is the list above... not because I don't have them looming over my shoulder, but only because I don't give them the disproportionate attention they unduly get in most cases. Oh no siree!
My biggest fear is much more sinister... the fear of losing myself while I 'adult'. 
My spontaneity, my playfulness, my early morning cheerful personality, my ability to get super excited over the smallest of things and my sense of adventure. These were the things people said about me in my 20s. They're definitely not what people say about me in my 30s. Heck, does anyone even talk about my faceless, adult being in the sea of struggling, anonymous stragglers who all look alike?

Find yourself...or even better, don't loss yourself to begin with. Remember what makes you happy and pursue it with all your heart. Forever.